Why There Are Still so Few Women in Skateboarding?

Last week I was in London for a meeting and an event in the evening and with a few hours to spare I headed down to the South Bank for a wander. During my wanderings, I came across the South Bank skatepark - an unofficial skateboarding spot that has been in use since the 1970s. It was great to watch the guys practice their tricks and I stayed for a while to take some photos.

Later on that afternoon, I took a stroll to the House of VANS - an incredible space for skating, music, art, coffee and much more all within the confines of a refurbished section of Waterloo station. Very cool indeed! Whilst I was visiting I once again took a little time out to watch the skaters in the bowl doing their thing, I took some pictures and marveled at their bravery at taking on some pretty steep drop-ins into the bowl.



I had a great time. I really did. I love skate culture and everything it entails; the travel, the DIY culture, the fashion, the perseverance needed etc. But have I ever learned to skateboard? The answer is regrettably: no. In truth, I was always too nervous or embarrassed to pick up a skateboard when I was younger which is such a shame. This seems to be echoed in the wider skate culture too because throughout my day in London I didn't see one female skateboarder. And this is sad. But why do so few women take up the sport?

Here's what I think:

1. Skateboarding is not part of the female culture from a young age. Bart Simpson had a skateboard (Lisa didn't), the ninja turtles (all male) had skateboards, Hey Arnold's BFF Gerald and Doug's BFF Skeeter both had skateboards. Even Marty McFly had a skateboard! But very few girls were shown with a skateboard in cartoons and films aimed at a younger audience.

2. Skateboarding is seen as a 'younger' sport - usually associated with disaffected teenage punk kids and stoners (of course this is a sweeping stereotype) so it might not appeal to women who are slightly older. If a 30-year-old was to inform her friends that she was going to learn to snowboard or surf she would be met with whoops and hollas and 'go get it' sentiments. If she said she was going to learn how to ride a skateboard, her friends may think she was having an early mid-life crisis.

3. It can be a lonely place being the only female in the skatepark. We are sociable creatures and need encouragement and motivation from our peers, especially when learning a new skill. It is intimidating for women to step into the bolshy culture of the skatepark if riding solo.

4. Feeling like we have to 'skate like a guy' to fit in. The sport is generally seen as a masculine sport. You will fall down on concrete and get scrapes and bruises which go against everything young girls are taught about being dainty and delicate. Women who skateboard don't necessarily lose their feminity when they skate, many incorporate it and use it to influence their personal style.

5. There is still very little recognition in competitions, prize money, magazines, media coverage, and movie parts for female skaters which may not give young girls the necessary encouragement to follow the sport.


0 comments: